Friday, February 29, 2008

Montes Alpha Syrah 06

DO Colchagua Valley (Apalta Vineyard), Chile. ~16 (but I think I paid much less)

I bought a highly rated wine (WS 3/08), Cambria Syrah 05, and I wanted a cheaper wine to compare it to. I thought the Montes Alpha was a cheap purchase from TJs, but maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, when put next to the Cambria (blind) - and it certainly held its own. The nose has a gamy, beef jerky quality with a certain brown spice-definite beef jerky though. It is certainly tight and has been opening up over the last half hour - but could probably use some time. The wine, overall, is fantastic. I'm very impressed and will certainly repurchase.

UPDATE: 3/2: This bottle has now been open for 4 days. It is even better now - spectacular even. I will certainly repurchase

No comments: