Sunday, January 13, 2008

Domaine Chante Cigale

04 Châteauneuf-du-Pape. ~$15 K&L

This needed to breathe. When I first opened her, on Friday, she was way over the top. She had a strong bouquet of ripe fruit and alcohol. The first glass was a bit overwhelming and I didn't find it immediately enjoyable. I decided to cork the bottle and leave it out for a few days.

On Sunday, I tried her again. She calmed down, significantly. It's stunning how much wine can change over time... The wine has a nose of cassis and black pepper. She still had a bit of the heat, but the fruit seemed to have opened up enough to give her more balance. It's almost as if the grenache backed off and the syrah took over. She was very balanced and full-bodied. Secondary flavors were reminiscent of bacon, smoke, and oak.

I'll repurchase, but decant next time.

No comments: