Thursday, January 10, 2008

Oakley Five Reds

03, Cline; Oakley, CA, $12

Pairing: Chateaubriand, rare (deliciously cooked by me) and bleu cheese after dinner.

I've never had a Cline I didn't like. I've never had a wine from Oakley. I've never had a mix of Syrah, Zin, Petite Syrah, Alicante Bouschet, and Mourvedre. I couldn't pass this chance up.

I was impressed, very. Split over 2 days, the wine was much more lively on the first day; on the second, she lost some of her brawniness, which was a bad thing for this brash wine.

Very dark color. Aromatic of ripe fruit and peppers on the nose. The best thing about this wine is that the initial sensation is heaviness and brawniness, yet it settles down mid-sip into a much smoother layer. Considering the first three grapes listed are some of the richest, I was amazed at how she transformed into an easy sensation of tobacco and black pepper. This is actually a wine that I'd like to keep in a cellar for a while. It reminds me of a Northern Rhone and will probably age well.

Very good. Great price. Repurchase.

No comments: