Sunday, December 30, 2007

Espiral - Vinho Verde

I initially had my heart set on a Casillero del Diablo as recommended by Tim, but I ended up just about as far off the mark as possible. While I did purchase the Casillero Del Diablo, a Chilean carmenere, I was coerced into a bottle of $3.99 Fizzy White, known as the Vihno Verde brought to us by the infamous Trader Joe. I promised a write up, so here goes...

This light bodied white from Portugal pours a very pale yellow, almost like strong lemon water. The pour reveals a slight effervescence, which is even more apparent on the first sip. The aroma reminds me of a a crisp green apple savignon blanc that has been watered down. The carbonation helps to liven up the sweetness of the green apple while downplaying the tartness that is so often found in a savignon blanc. The flavor is crisp and light, just like a fresh granny smith, while the bubbles leave your palate feeling clean and refreshed. There is very little lingering taste.

This wine is nice for light hearted sipping on a hot day. While it may not be the most complex or challenging wine, for $3.99 its great Yellow Tail or generic critter wine alternative. This would be a good bottle for large parties of undiscriminating wine drinkers or for that girl who just needs a litte convincing.

No comments: